What will you make?
calendar of events below
Maker City is a makerspace designed especially for youth ages 8+. The 1,250 sq. foot studio workshop offers a place where youth makers and families can design, invent, create and collaborate using real tools – the same materials and processes used by artists, builders, programmers and entrepreneurs.
*Here's what you can do:
- Woodworking and take-apart (hammers, saws, screwdrivers)
- Electronics (Little Bits, circuit blocks, Makey Makey)
- Fiber Arts (weaving loom, needlework supplies, sewing machine)
- Computer-generated projects (laser and vinyl cutters, 3D printing, stop motion animation)
- MAKING with materials to create whatever you can imagine!
- See photos of the space in action
*Training sessions will be required before makers can utilize some of the more advanced equipment above.
Maker City Title Sponsor:
Bob Wade Autoworld in loving memory of Bob Wade
GENEROUSLY SUPPORTED BY:
Massanutten Technical Center, Rocking R Ace Hardware, Ragtime Fabrics, Shickel Corporation, Harrisonburg City (HUD Community Development Block Grant), Cadence, Camp Horizons, Community Foundation of Central Blue Ridge, Shenandoah Valley Innovation Fund, Shenandoah Valley Technology Council, The Community Foundation of Harrisonburg and Rockingham (Arts and Culture Fund), James Madison University, Darrin McHone Foundation, Merck Foundation, Rosetta Stone, Matt Leech Designs, Eugene and Gloria Diener, American Subcontractors Association - Shenandoah Valley
UPCOMING CLASSES + WORKSHOPS
Maker Workshop: Laser Cut Puzzle Party
June 14 / 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Want to challenge your friends and family? Want to create something unique using the laser cutter? Come and make your own jigsaw puzzle! Only you will know what the picture is while your friends and family try to piece it together. Learn how to use the graphic program Inkscape and watch see how a laser cutter works. You'll also explore more about jigsaw puzzles and tessellations.
EXPLORE MAKER CITY CAMP (AGES 8+)
JUNE 18 - 22 / 9:00AM - 12:00 PM
Learn to make the most of your time in Maker City. We'll do an in-depth exploration of each of the major making stations so you'll gain the skills to become more independent with laser cutting, 3D Printing, Sewing, Electronics, Woodworking and more! Whether you are just beginning or need to update your skills, this camp will familiarize you with all the computer software and equipment available in Maker City.
Maker Workshop: BRILLIANT Bookbinding
June 28 / 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Have you ever looked at unique hand-made books and wondered how they were created? In this introductory course, you will learn several simple methods perfect for making journals, sketchbooks, and more. Learn how to customize your creations with Maker City tools.
Maker City Boot Camps
CHOOSE from Day + Evening Options
Get a basic overview of Maker City specialized work zones. Try one or all of the following: woodworking, sewing, 2D Modeling with Inkscape, and 3D Modeling with Tinkercad.
Skill To Share
We need VOLUNTEERS with “making skills” and a passion to share with others. We also need “stuff.” Your donations of time and consumables will go a long way. Who knows, you might just be the catalyst for the next new invention.
We will use many items in new and exciting ways. If you have any of the following items you'd like to donate, please drop them off at the front desk:
- Woodworking and buildings materials
- Pine wood scraps (2x4, 2x6, varied shapes and sizes)
- Chip board
- 1/8" plywood (cut into smaller pieces)
- Wooden dowels
- Washers and nuts (medium sized)
- Nails, screws, bolts, hinges, etc.
- Puzzle pieces
- Plastic lids (clean)
- Wheels from old toys
- Old jewelry
- Playing cards (used for building items)
- Art supplies and canvas
- All types of paper (wrapping paper, card stock, construction paper, printer paper, scrapbook)
- Cardboard tubes (wrapping paper, toilet paper, paper towel, etc.)
- Craft supplies (pom poms, wiggly eyes, pipe cleaners)
- Modeling Clay
- Hot glue sticks
- Tape (duct, electrical, masking, painters, scotch)
- Technology needs - iPads, laptops (recent models in good working condition)
- Legos, K’nex, Blocks, Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs
- Cameras, photography equipment
- Take-apart table items (old or broken electronics, small devices, no monitors please)
- Sewing supplies (needles, thread, scissors, fabric)
- Empty thread spools
- Fabric paint
- Ribbon, yarn, string
- Rick-rack and other trim
- Monetary donations are also appreciated to help with equipment and consumable purchases. Donate HERE.
Maker City is a trademark of the Maker City Project, Inc. Used with permission.