What will you make?
calendar of events below
Maker City is a new makerspace designed especially for youth ages 8+. The 1,250 sq. foot studio offers a place where youth makers and families can design, invent, create and collaborate using real tools – the same materials and processes used by artists, builders, programmers and entrepreneurs.
Here's what you can do:
- Woodworking and take-apart (hammers, screwdrivers, drills)
- Electronics (Little Bits, circuit blocks, soldering stations)
- Fiber Arts (weaving loom, needlework supplies, sewing machine)
- Computer-generated projects (laser and vinyl cutters, 3D printing, stop motion animation)
- MAKING with materials to create whatever you can imagine!
See photos of the space in action HERE!
UPCOMING WORKSHOPS - REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
HOLIDAY LASER LED LANTERN WORKSHOP: November 25 | 10:00 - 12:00 | Session is Full, Join Wait List
Special thanks to Maker City supporters:
Massanutten Technical Center, Rocking R Ace Hardware, Ragtime Fabrics, Shickel Corporation, Harrisonburg City (HUD Community Development Block Grant), Cadence, Camp Horizons, Community Foundation of Central Blue Ridge, Shenandoah Valley Innovation Fund, Shenandoah Valley Technology Council, The Community Foundation of Harrisonburg and Rockingham (Arts and Culture Fund), James Madison University, Darrin McHone Foundation, Merck Foundation, Rosetta Stone, Matt Leech Designs, Eugene and Gloria Diener, American Subcontractors Association - Shenandoah Valley
Maker City Kids will invent the future!
Skill To Share
We need VOLUNTEERS with “making skills” and a passion to share with others. We also need “stuff.” Your donations of time and consumables will go a long way. Who knows, you might just be the catalyst for the next new invention.
We will use many items in new and exciting ways. If you have any of the following items you'd like to donate, please drop them off at the front desk:
- Pine wood scraps (2x4, 2x6, varied shapes and sizes)
- Empty thread spools
- Fabric paint
- Modeling Clay
- Tape (duct, electrical, masking, painters, scotch)
- Hot glue sticks
- Craft supplies (pom poms, wiggly eyes, pipe cleaners)
- Puzzle pieces
- Plastic lids (clean)
- Chip board
- 1/8" plywood (cut into smaller pieces)
- Wooden dowels
- Wheels from old toys
- Old jewelry
- Washers and nuts (medium sized)
- Legos, K’nex, Blocks, Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs
- Sewing supplies (needles, thread, scissors, fabric)
- Ribbon, yarn, string
- Rick-rack and other trim
- All types of paper (wrapping paper, card stock, construction paper, printer paper, scrapbook)
- Cardboard tubes (wrapping paper, toilet paper, paper towel, etc.)
- Canvas, art supplies
- Cameras, photography equipment
- Take-apart table items (old or broken electronics, small devices, no monitors please)
- Nails, screws, bolts, hinges, etc.
- Playing cards (used for building items)
- Technology Needs - iPads, laptops (recent models in good working condition)
- Monetary donations are also appreciated to help with equipment and consumable purchases. Donate HERE
Maker City is a trademark of the Maker City Project, Inc. Used with permission.